Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Silks



These pictures do not do these silks justice. A few moms from my natural parenting group and I put together a big play silk order. We spent one evening dying them ourselves. Its a lot of work but totally worth it. I had done this on a much larger scale about 6 months ago and it took us 9 hours! There were around 15 moms and over 150 silks to dye. This time though with 4 ladies, 4 dye colors, and only around 30 silks we were done in just a couple of hours. I really wanted brown, green and white (not dyed), for our nature table. Then of course I could not resist that royal blue and the yellow.
I'm using these to line K's easter basket, so I'm sure after sunday I'll have some great photos of him playing in the silks.

3 comments:

softearthart said...

OH they are indeed beautiful, glorious colors, cheers Marie

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea! I would love to organize something like this. Do you know of a good tutorial for dying silks? Also, where did you buy them undyied? Many thanks!

Brynn said...

Thanks for the great feedback! We usually order our silk and dye from this website:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/

I actually don't know a good tutorial for dyeing the silks as I was taught by another mom. It's pretty simple though and only takes boiling water and vinegar. If you want more details I'll send you an e-mail. Oh you can also use kool-aid! I've seen great results this way.